The Guardian newspaper called Polly Higgins ‘one of the most inspiring figures in the green movement’ but on Easter Sunday last year at the age of 50, she passed away after a short battle with lung cancer. Polly was a successful lawyer who abandoned a courtroom career to lead a decade-long campaign for a law called “ecocide” to be recognised as an international crime.
‘Ecocide is extensive loss, damage or destruction of ecosystems, in laypersons terms; serious harm to the natural living world.’
In this podcast the co-founder of the Stop Ecocide campaign Jojo Mehta talks to me about Polly’s legacy and Jojo also shares her wisdom on how she has handled her own personal grief at the loss of one of her closest friends. Wisdom that is universal to anyone who has a close friend in spirit.
In this podcast you will learn:
- About the moment Polly realised that Mother Earth needed a lawyer
- How seriously Polly took her mission
- How Polly’s illness began and her response to her diagnosis
- About the day Polly died and her spiritual presence at the Extinction Rebellion on Easter Sunday
- How Jojo compartmentalised her relationship with Polly and how only recently has she grieved the deep friendship they shared
- More about how you can join the #stopecocide campaign and become an Earth Protector
- … and Jojo’s answers to my three quick fire questions, her most influential male mentor, her favourite words of wisdom and the song that sums up her story.
My stand-out quote from this podcast:
‘She [Polly] also had this amazing effect on people, I mean the number of people I’ve met in the last few months who have sort of confessed to me that they kind of fell in love with her when they met her and you know that might not necessarily have meant romantically but she had this extraordinarily inspirational effect on people where she would have a conversation with them and they would turn their whole lives around. She was always incredibly feminine and terribly sexy as well, just extraordinarily warm with a strong feminine presence and I think in that way … a wonderful role model for what a woman can be in a man’s world.’ – Jojo Mehta
Click image of JoJo above to find out more about Ecocide and how you can become an ‘Earth Protector’ and watch Polly’s TED talk below to get maximum enjoyment from this Wyse Woman podcast.
If you enjoyed Jojo’s podcast you may like to listen/listen again to Mandy Haggith’s podcast from Series 1. Mandy lives a self sufficient life in harmony with nature in a cabin in the woods in Scotland.